Over the past weeks and months, we have heard lots of tales of environmental activism, as well as pledges from the Government to improve the UK’s contribution to global warming. As a result of the recent acts of activism, we are very well aware of groups such as Extinction Rebellion and Insulate Britain, but how much do you know about the charitable work that goes on in the UK, in the name of the environment?
Below are just five of the many charities in the UK that are focused on the environment, and what they are doing to benefit it.
The Wildlife Trusts
Responsible for protecting various natural environments across the UK, The Wildlife Trust grassroots movement has 850,000 members and 35,000 volunteers working together to keep parks, woods and nature reserves protected. Each Wildlife Trust is an independent charity and there are currently 50 located across the UK.
Blue Marine Foundation
As the name suggests, the Blue Marine Foundation aims to see that 30 percent of the World’s ocean is under protection by 2030, with the other 70 percent managed in a responsible way. They also work to restore marine habitats and tackle unsustainable fishing. Their final goal is to connect people with the sea, enhancing ocean understanding across generations.
Campaign to protect rural England
The goal of the CPRE is to make the countryside and green spaces accessible to all, whilst responding to the climate emergency. There is a CPRE group in every county in the UK, advocating for sustainability in our country. Their primary focuses are waste management, transport and energy.
On top of this, the CPRE are also passionate about farming, finding people in the UK better places to live and climate change. They regularly post advice for people in rural areas, explaining how they can do their bit for the environment, as well as celebrating England’s countryside.
Renewable UK works to increase the number of homes in the UK using green energy. Their aim is for every home in the UK to be powered using a renewable energy source like wind or solar. Members of Renewable UK work to build a future energy system, powered by clean energy, delivering a future that is better for industry, bill payers and the environment.
Of course, there are systems currently available in the UK that encourage people from low income households to apply for funding to have renewable energy systems installed in their homes. These include the Domestic Renewable Heat Incentive, Energy Company Obligation, Feed-in Tariffs and more. If you’re looking for eco funding for installers, there are several options out there for you.
National Association for Environmental Education
The National Association for Environmental Education has worked for over 50 years to promote environmental education in the UK, helping people to understand they need to live more sustainably in order to protect the future of our planet. They also push for children to be educated about the environment as early as possible, as they are an Incorporated Charitable Organisation.
Donating to any of these worthwhile causes, will mean you are contributing to a charity that is doing valuable work to preserve our environment and challenge the Government, to make sure they are doing their part in the fight against climate change.